Related Posts with Thumbnails



Hannah, of Cultivating Home, has a very interesting and post about raising daughters. I read the post over and over again; after all I have three daughters of my own.

It is very difficult to raise virtuous children these days. I try my best to live up to my own set of virtues as a parent. However, the larger society, where little children belong , becomes the predator of good values. Our society permits what is true, good and beautiful to become relative. What we have is one permissive society where values are compromised just to allow materialism to prevail. Our society becomes an arena for what seems to be a distorted version of truth or good. And that is very sad because in the long run, my daughters will eventually be leading their own lives. I cannot protect them forever from the harsh realities of today's world.

Long ago, when I was young and single I took the advice of one of my co-workers who happened to be an early childhood educator: "Invest on everything that is good for your children whether in values or in opportunities, talk to them all the time and give them good choices so they can decide for themselves - then you will never go wrong."

I still do that now if I can afford to. It is never easy. It is never perfect. I am not and will not always be in control of things. Nothing will ever go perfect as planned or conceived, but I can always try to stay grounded to what is true, good and beautiful in the truest meaning of what Christianity is .

As I wrote earlier, there are no schools where I can get degrees like Doctorate in Parenting or something like that. No one can really tell me what should not or cannot be done.

Rearing children is always and forever be an experiential learning.

15 comments
  1. Shoshana June 20, 2008 at 4:09 AM  

    Hailey, while it's true there's no place to get our degree in parenthood, there's always common sense. It might not be enough to guide us, but with our hearts and intellect, here's hoping we raise our children into a fulfilled, happy, extraordinary adult.

  2. Toni June 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM  

    It sounds like you are a great mother to your 3 lovely daughters!

  3. Nancy Janiola June 20, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

    Musta Hails..I'm also doing my rounds here. Wish you and your family a wonderful weekend.

    REgards!!!

  4. Nancy Janiola June 20, 2008 at 10:30 AM  

    Musta Hails...I'm doing my rounds here too..Wanna wish you and your family a wonderful weekend...

    Regards!!

  5. Anonymous June 20, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

    naku sis, wala talagang madali pagdating sa parenting. tama ang co-worker mo, talagang constant communication is the key.

    cheers!

  6. Unknown June 21, 2008 at 3:50 AM  

    I totally agree with you. I don't have children yet. I hope to have at least one. Take care.

  7. Maria Justine June 21, 2008 at 9:51 AM  

    ang ku-cute!:-)

  8. Anonymous June 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM  

    hi sis, they are all beautiful girls. mana talaga sa mommy nila. :)

    yes, i saw it nga we have same theme sa domain. am really trying to find one that will suit my personality well, but yan pa lang ang isa ang nakita namin. :( bt don't worry when i can find a new one soon, will change it. love ko sya na theme. it's so cool. :)

  9. PinayWAHM June 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

    Very well-written!

    Happy weekend!


    Juliana...btw, your daughters [and you of course] look lovely!

  10. Anonymous June 22, 2008 at 5:34 AM  

    hi nice pics ha... anyway... just blog hopping... hope you can visit my blog...

    http://marvz18.blogspot.com/

    take care...

  11. Shoshana June 22, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

    Hailey, I hope you're safe from the hurricane. I read in the news that it hit Manila hard.

  12. Heart of Rachel June 22, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

    Parenting is not an easy task. It requires a lot of understanding, patience, hard work and dedication. I admire you for being a wonderful mom to your children.

    Thanks for dropping by. Regarding your question, Yohan's birthday is on July 18.

  13. Rocks June 23, 2008 at 1:03 AM  

    hi! I don't have a kid yet (still praying) but i salute all the parents out there (like you) who are doing their best to raise a very good person in their sons and daughters! God bless you!

    Do you mind if we exchange links? :)

  14. Hailey's Beats and Bits June 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM  

    @ rocks - sure rocks, just leave your link and i will blogroll you

  15. DebbieDana June 26, 2008 at 8:18 AM  

    you're a great mom to your kids!

    btw, you have a beautiful family... :)

    just hopping here!