Related Posts with Thumbnails


I am raising three kids of my own. That is one of the things I can be very proud of. I had my child-bearing years when I was 24, 25 and 28 years old consecutively. While giving births, I had a teaching career on the side. I was not prepared for such enormous responsibilities of raising kids, who were coming in succession, while other people of same age were partying and storming the corporate worlds for knock-out careers, I was tending to my babies. I could not compete with those who have the luxury of time for their careers. I needed, and I still do, to devote my time because there was point when my three children were all under the age of five.

Young, a new parent and unprepared, I helped myself with constant readings about parenting books and attending parenting workshops. I knew parenting was the "career" for me. I believe that parenting my kids is my life-long calling. This life-long vocation means no ifs, no buts and no conditions.

After almost eleven years of devoting my time to my children I have the following that hold true for me:

  1. Catch them being good. Never ever hold positive praises.
  2. Communicate to them about good, bad or worse things. Do not just talk to them.
  3. Provide all the good things. Not necessarily luxury or comfort. What counts is the experience and learning they can get.
  4. Answer when they ask questions. Nothing is too silly for learning.
  5. Set them free. Let them be with variety of people. If they can differentiate the good that you taught them from the bad, they can evaluate the difference.
  6. Let them be exposed to other cultures. It will teach them to be open-minded and less judgmental of people.
  7. Be careful that they not only hear what I say, but they observe how you live.
  8. Love them unconditionally. They will reciprocate it to anyone.
  9. Pro-longed gratification brings better EQ than instant rewards.
  10. Choices bring forth better decision-making.
  11. More often than not, love is spelled as T-I-M-E which means no rewind, no replay.



(image from www.sci-con.org)

9 comments
  1. Mai March 16, 2008 at 3:00 AM  

    hi.. nice blog.. link exchange?? please drop me a message..

  2. mari March 16, 2008 at 7:27 AM  

    thank you so much for leaving a comment in my blog. i was so touched! thank you very much...
    can i add you on my links?

  3. PinayWAHM March 16, 2008 at 8:21 AM  

    Yes...that's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure I can pick out some 'tips' from these.

    Ingat and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Thanks for the visit.

    Juliana

  4. Anonymous March 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

    I agree with your observation. Especially time. Sometimes, time is the most expensive thing to get...there's never enough of it go around.

    Just Say These Words

  5. Anonymous March 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

    I don't have kids, but from a daughter's perspective, I wholeheartedly agree all that you've said.

  6. Anonymous March 16, 2008 at 5:59 PM  

    Hi, First time on your site and as a Dad I want to commend you and give all the moms who visit this site the gift of a wonderful video showing just how great you moms really are. Enjoy
    shucks I just found out I couldn't paste it here. But you can go to Sonnyradio.com and look for momsense on the opening page. You will love it. Rick
    PS come visit anytime

  7. Anonymous March 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM  

    My kids were all close together in age like yours. Your number 11 tip, I feel, is the best. Kids can't remember what they got for Xmas last year but they remember those special moments spent with their parents forever. great site. Rick

  8. Angel March 19, 2008 at 7:28 AM  

    I have a family tip blog but I find this article very interesting to read.

    Keep it up!

  9. DebbieDana March 21, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

    Nice entry here...I can relate as I am also a parent....