Related Posts with Thumbnails

Stay-at-Home for TODAY

Monday, July 23, 2007


today my youngest Eka and I stayed at home. she wasn't feeling well. in fact, she was feeling rotten with bouts of asthma. i nursed her today making sure she had round the clock use of the nebulizer and frequent liquid intake. she didn't eat anything solid the whole day. she had milk and water only. my poor baby was having a hard time breathing.
suddenly, i had these thoughts about homeschooling my kids. i just want them to experience the process of being educated in the context of the home, real and transforming.
but after 12 twelve years into teaching, i doubt if i have the patience and cool to teach my own children without expecting them in the level beyond their capability. i don't know but i would like to contemplate on the idea that i have an option.

5 comments
  1. raqgold July 24, 2007 at 12:00 PM  

    hi hailey, i would think that you would decide what's best for you and the kids, good luck!

  2. Heart of Rachel July 24, 2007 at 3:09 PM  

    Hello Hailey. Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate the kind words.

    I'm sorry to learn that your daughter hasn't been feeling well lately. Hope she's much better now.

    I've thought about homeschool too. My friend has been homeschooling her child for a few years and her son shows remarkable performance. However, I don't think I have the patience to be an effective teacher.

    This is my first time here and I assume from this post that you are a teacher. May you can come up with the best possible option for your child. Good luck.

    Take care!

  3. Anonymous July 24, 2007 at 4:16 PM  

    Hailey, we are in the same predicament. My 6yo son is always not feeling well due to asthma, waking up around 3am, asking for nebulizer, especially now that the weather has gone erratic. I homeschool him. He is in Grade 1 level. Though I know he misses out on some school-related experiences, I know his health is far more important than going to a real school setting. If he perspire a little or gets tired a little, he starts wheezing so we can't take the risk. We had a pact though that once he is better, he would definitely go to a real school.

    Hope you can decide on what to do with your Eka. Btwm I have a subdomain in my blog about our homeschooling experiences/lessons.

  4. Christianne July 25, 2007 at 9:22 AM  

    Hi Hailey! I've read a lot about the benefits of homeschooling but I'm afraid to try it... as a teacher you probably have the experience and resources to pull it off, and will be able to focus on the important things, like teaching them how to analyze situations rather than memorize facts. I'm sure a lot more patience in the classroom rather than with your own kids, but you're right, mahirap if we expect too much from them.

  5. Anonymous July 25, 2007 at 5:40 PM  

    Homeschooling is good, hailey. It's just that your kid will be missing out on some very important school activities and learning to interact with other kids.

    Decide what's best. Good Luck!